Week 1 Intro
- Intro to p5
- Create an account for the p5 editor
- Assignment 1: Recreate an artwork
- Choose an artwork from one of the artists in the list
- Recreate the artwork in p5
- You can be creative – try to capture the idea or feeling of the work without necessarily recreating each shape and color exactly
- Save an image of the sketch and post on Open Lab
- You can suggest an image if you want to use something else
Project 1 Self Portrait
- Over the next three weeks you will make a self portrait, starting with a simple drawing and ending with an interactive artwork using variables.
- One version due each week. The three versions include a hard coded drawing, a static drawing with variables, an interactive version.
Week 2 Shape & Color
Week 3 Variables
Week 4 Interaction 1
- System variables
- Assignment 4: Interactive Self Portrait
- Choose part of your self portrait to animate with interaction
- size, position or color, or a combination
- Use the
map function at least once
- Add instructions for the user in the HTML using a paragraph tag
Project 2 Meme/Logo
- The next three weeks will be dedicated to the second project. You have a choice to create a logo for youself or a fictional client or to make a “meme”, meaning a humorous combination of image and text (must be appropriate for class).
- This project will also have three versions: rough draft, simple interaction, and final animation.
Week 5 Text & Image
Week 6 Logic
Week 7 Animation
- Assignment 7: Animation
- Add animation to the Meme/Logo design
- Choose what type of animation to use
- One from first category: size, position or color
- One from second category: translate, rotate, shear or scale
Project 3 Pattern Generator
- This project introduces using loops and a user interface that allows users to generate a pattern.
- That pattern could applied to different themes, like a product design, website background, or game setting.
Week 8 Loop
- In class: Code academy: loops
- Assignment 8: Variations
- Using a loop and random, create several varations of a drawing
- You could use your self portrait, a series of windows on a building, an abstract pattern or any pattern you want to create
- Document three variations of the pattern
Week 9 Functions
- DOM Elements
- Assignment 9: User Interface
- Add buttons to save and regenerate your pattern from Assignment 8
- Style the buttons using CSS
- Add a custom function for drawing the pattern elements
Week 10 Pattern
- Nested Loop
- Generating patterns
- Assignment 10: Generated Pattern
- Using a nested for loop, create a pattern
- Use randomness and variation
- Use user interface components for use to regenerate and save pattern
Project 4 Sound Sampler
- This project introduces adding sound files to a p5 project.
- We will combine interactivity and sound to create interactive samplers.
Week 11 Keyboard + Sound
- Keyboard interaction
- Assignment 11: Keyboard Sampler
- Combine sounds with keyboard events to create a sound sampler
- Use simple colors or images to reflect changes in sound
Week 12 Interaction 2
- Presentation sketch
- Choose a previous project to elaborate on or propose something new, hybrid
- How will user interact with sketch?
- What type of graphics will be used?
- p5 sketch
- User interaction (with sketch variables or DOM elements or both)
- At least one external file (image or sound)
- Use variables
- Use at least one example of logic (if statement)
- Use at least one of loop or function